Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Puppies Puppies Puppies Puppies Puppies

Before Bailey died, I had been planning for the future.. thinking about what kind of puppy I would get after she passed away. I always knew her death would be very hard for me. Originally, getting MacDubh and Duncan was a way to ensure that I would still be surrounded by loving dogs after she passed. But both of the boys went to live with Tasha when she moved out because they were pretty cat aggressive and MacDubh was totally devoted to Tasha. Then MacDubh died at only 6 years from a severe bronchial infection. Duncan still visits, but its not the same.

Then Robert moved in with his dachshund Lilly. She's sweet. She's 10. Totally a lap model. Not quite the same though. She's a dog. Most definitely. Bailey was more like a person. So was MacDubh. Duncan was similar, but not with the same intensity.

I thought, well, maybe I would get a labrador retriever. They are great dogs and excellent retrievers. I could teach my lab to bring me things that I drop and help me.. as I'm not so bendie anymore.

But really, my heart belongs to mastiffs. The more I looked at pictures of labradors the more I wanted to look at pictures of mastiffs.

So, I think Robert and the kids will have to endure the slobber and the hair for a while longer.

I still miss Bailey, but I don't cry for her anymore. My heart is opening up for another baby to love. I just want one that looks different. I don't want to see Bailey in their face. A different structure .. maybe a fawn boy with a big square head this time.

I was shocked at how much prices have risen. Bailey was $1850, fully health tested parents and a solid lineage. The ones I have seen recently that meet my health testing and lineage requirements are $2500. That is going to limit how soon I can have one. And also, my job ... travelling all the time. I need time at home for my new puppy. That stresses me the most. I can have a bunch of time at home next summer. But that is a whole year away. I long for a puppy now.

Makes me a little sad.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment