Saturday, June 25, 2011

Horses are like dogs are like children are like adults...

When I embarked on my animal ownership adventure I spent a lot of time researching training techniques and trying them out on my animals. There are many schools of thought about training. My favorite is to use the least amount of negativity possible. Reward the positive. Start off with a clean slate each time. Don't take training failures personally. Don't blame the trainee for not learning what you're teaching or assume they're doing it on purpose.

But there are a lot of training methods out there that focus on increasing the amount of pain (in one fashion or another - literal, psychological, whatever) until the trainee gets it right. Having been on the receiving end of that kind of training a time or two, I am generally against it. (Put a check in the "against" box.)

I was thinking about this (again) when I took my horse back from the stable that was buying him (long story), and noticed that they had him in a harsher bit than the one I had been using. A harsh bit hurts the mouth or the head in some fashion. A gentle bit applies some pressure, but not enough to really hurt unless you yank on the reins (which is a big rider no-no.) The philosophy behind getting a harsh bit is .. wow.. the horse isn't listening to me. I'll make him do what I want by making sure he really pays for it when he doesn't.

The philosophy behind a gentle bit is .. I'm going to use this bit to tell you what I want. A relaxed horse listens better and thus learns better. This means I have to take responsibility for explaining to you (as long as it takes) what I want you to do when I do this (pick up right rein) or this (pick up left rein) etc. And I'm going to work with you until you get it and can respond consistently each time.

Now, yes, a gentle bit requires more training and rider responsibility. But it's a long term investment in a sane horse. A harsh bit is a quick fix to a problem that can lead to longer term problems later.

I see this all the time in all sorts of inter-mammal relationships. People and dogs or cats or other animals. Adults and children. Children and adults.

Harshness begets anger, resentment and fear. None of that helps us learn. Nor does it help us look at the world with optimism and interact with the world and each other in a positive way.

Gentleness is often mistaken for being a mat and letting them do whatever they want. But that is not the case. Gentle training has consequences. But it comes from a different place. It looks different and it feels different (to both parties).

I'm an advocate. Put a check in the "for" box.


Jen

3 comments:

  1. I can't speak for horses, but for people suffering is a natural consequence to environment and decision making.

    Avoiding suffering can stunt development.

    I'm not advocating deliberately inflicting pain and suffering out of frustration or anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly my point. When you start acting out of a place of frustration and anger, and turn to inflicting pain deliberately to "teach", you end up in a downward spiral that isn't very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article to that effect from the early 20th century on corporal punishment. If I can find it again, I will be sure to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete