Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Speaking of Giving Back...

I feel equal parts great and horrible about this.  I have been volunteering for a 501c3 nonprofit organization since .. gosh.. who knows.. maybe 2006?  I can't even remember.  Since my work schedule got so hectic back in 2007 I have been very erratic in what I am able to do there.  Three years ago I offered to paint a sign for the facility, because their old one was faded and barely legible.  I came up with a grand design.  I showed her the design (my fault) and promptly was given more words to add.  This "scope creep" did me in.  Three years (and a tremendous amount of procrastination - both warranted and unwarranted) later, I just finished painting the sign this week.  I finally said - JUST GET IT DONE!  It doesn't have to be perfect.  It will still be tons better than what the organization has right now.  So, I did it.  I tried not to obsess.  I just did it.


I don't love the phone number or the line of text at the very bottom.  It's not all exactly even.  And I didn't put as many elements on the design as I originally planned, but overall, I'm happy with it.. I'm thrilled it's done, and privately ashamed that it took me so long.  The picture is actually more vivid in person, but you get the idea.

Desert Cry Wildlife is a rescue, rehabilitation and sanctuary (although release back into the wild is done when possible) that specializes in small mammals - especially bunnies (cottontails and jack rabbits) indigenous to Arizona.  It's a great organization that runs on a shoestring budget, as most nonprofits do. They also work with the court systems to provide community service opportunities and also work with the boy scouts, provide educational opportunities at schools and other community events, and most especially - save as many bunnies (and sometimes other kinds of animals) as possible. 

I love volunteering to help animals.  When I first moved to Arizona I volunteered at a horse rescue operation - grooming the horses.  I have also provided a permanent home for 6 cats rescued from either the street or from shelters and a temporary home and medical care for a very young kitten who was placed in a loving home with a friend.  I've also rescued one dog from a shelter.  And when I bought a horse, I picked one who was unhappy, who I could work with to brighten up his world.  Animals are so much easier than people.  Unable to defend themselves, they need a champion.  And they are often so much nicer than people.  AND -- every emotion they have is a genuine, in the moment reaction to what is going on in their heart and in their environment.  It's very rewarding work.  I can't save them all.  But at least I can provide a safe harbor and love to some of them .. a forever home, and give back to the world in a small way.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could save more. I totally can see where animal hoarders are coming from psychologically. I read articles about them sometimes and think that its a warning to me that providing a quality life for a few is better than providing a dismal life for many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe a two pronged approach might be more effective.
    The personal you are taking care of in spades.
    Making other people aware of the necessary suffering of animals can multiply that effectiveness.
    Your work with programs helps with that, but I think that nationally there is very little recognition of plight of needful animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think people are aware... I think they are just apathetic about it.

    ReplyDelete